Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

None of Us are as Strong as We Pretend to Be

I was 19 when I joined the Army.

Growing up I never was a tough guy; there wasn't a day when I walked down the halls of my high school, and people moved out of my way because of my intimidating strength and size. Yet with all that said, at 19, I felt pretty strong. I felt like I was in pretty good shape.

After my first day of Basic Training, I found out I was I wrong.

I think as believers many of us walk through life feeling like we are pretty strong in our relationship with God. We think we have a good grasp on God's Word. Yet when difficult times come, or strain from relationship or circumstance leaps out of nowhere; we find that we don't have what it takes.

I guess the reality is for a 19 year old kid, I was in pretty good shape. I was fairly strong; as long as I was just accomplishing normal day to day tasks. But put me in a situation where a much higher level of work ethic, or more difficult physical strain was applied, I didn't have what I needed.

If all our faith or relationship with God is for, is to give us the energy to go to church from time to time, or answer a question or two in our Sunday School class, we don't need much relationship for that. Yet when life gets complicated or painful, we find that level of relationship just isn't enough.

In Isaiah 41:10 it says, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." 

God isn't asking us to face life in our strength, in fact it is much the opposite. God wants us to have confidence because of His strength; but He doesn't just use His strength to fix our circumstances. God shares His strength with us, He makes us stronger.

Just like any other type of strength building, that comes with time and effort. As we grow closer to God, we are built up more and more with His strength.

So let me encourage you, build your strength in Jesus now. Don't wait for difficult circumstances to come and prove you aren't strong enough. Train yourself up now, to prepare you for when those moments come, and they will come.

Fact is, if we're honest enough with ourselves to admit it, none of us are as strong as we pretend to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment