Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Monday, November 24, 2014

A Different Kind of Thankful

I started my vacation today. I haven't taken one in a while, so I am pretty excited about the down time. I have a list of things I would like to do, and I am sure I will end up doing about half of what I planned. I am really okay with that.

The last few weeks I have been considering this season we are in, Thanksgiving. If you are anything like me, Thanksgiving is the time to consider all the things we are thankful for, as well as a time to feel guilty for all the people of whom we have failed to express our thanks.

It looks something like this, "I am so thankful for my wonderful family, and I feel guilty that I have not shown that as well as I would like to."

In 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, we read some of the most seemingly unrealistic advice ever given. "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Not only have I struggled to live this out, I imagine if I met someone who does a good job in this area, I would likely find them very annoying.

At least, that is what I used to think.

A person who is seemingly detached from reality, excited about both good and bad circumstances is the kind of person we are much more likely to assume illness as the source, rather than godliness.

That isn't what 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 is talking about. For those of us who have ever read verse 18 on its own, "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." it seems like an idea removed from reality.

If we look more closely at this passage we may find a different meaning than perhaps we assumed at first glance.

The heart of the passage is three components: Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances.

Let's slow down a bit and consider what these three statements really mean.

"Rejoice Always" The word rejoice means, to be glad for the grace God has given you. To rejoice, is to celebrate that the Creator of all of creation, loves you, and cares about you and your day. Rejoicing is a response to our wonderful condition. Although life is imperfect, we are perfectly loved by God.

"Pray Continually" The word prayer is a combination of two words. One, to "lean into, or move toward" and Two, "to wish." So literally, to pray, is to lean into, or move toward the wishes, or plans of God. I realize this kind of ruins the idea of prayer being more like a source to have all of your Christmas wishes answered; but I didn't make up the meaning, so don't shoot the messenger.

"Give Thanks in All Circumstances" This does not say "Give Thanks FOR All Circumstances." It says give thanks IN all circumstances. So, you didn't get the promotion, give thanks that you have been blessed with a job. You don't get to go on that dream vacation with your spouse, give thanks that you have been blessed with a spouse. Your kid is acting up in school, give thanks that you have been blessed with a child.  Perhaps your circumstances are harder to process. Maybe you have endured a terrible tragedy, or are afflicted with sickness or pain that is quite difficult to endure; I understand giving thanks in these circumstances is so much harder, but with God and His grace, it is still possible. (If that's where you are, click here to read a previous post that talks about those difficult seasons and circumstances.)


If you are anything like me, these definitions shine light to a different path than what you may have first assumed.

Now the real trick is applying all this.

So in this season of Thanksgiving, let me encourage you to try and approach your circumstances, perhaps with a different attitude.

Rather than focusing on what you have, what you had, or what you never had; try to live out these three simple principles.

Rejoice, Pray, and Give Thanks.

Celebrate that God loves you, Lean into His plans for your life, and even if it is a difficult season, Remember what you have to be thankful for.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. This passage is something I have been trying to live out lately, although I am currently going through a difficult season in life. I know I need to keep praising Him no matter what. God is with me no matter what is happening in our lives. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding that during those difficult times, when I struggle the most, that God has become most real to me. I will be praying that God show Himself to you in new and remarkable ways Mary!

      Delete
  2. I love that-lean into God's wishes. Great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yeah, it's a pretty big difference from I think how most of us approach prayer right?

      Delete