Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Loved By Our Father

Last week my two oldest kids started going to a new school. As a parent, I have always struggled to send my kids off to anything new, or potentially risky. I want to go ahead of them and make sure everything will be okay, and then I want to walk right along side of them to make sure everything stays perfect for them.

Unfortunately, that is not the present reality I live in.

My kids are bright, and I feel like they do a great job connecting with other kids their age, but I just hate the unknown, and the potential of unforeseen issues they could run into.

My mind is riddled with questions, "what if someone is mean to them?" "what if they need something, and no one is there to help them?" "I wonder if they are secretly wishing we hadn't changed schools."

I struggle with these questions, and I want to remove any obstacle they might potentially run into.

But I can't.

I have to consider the reality that someday my kids will be teenagers. In fact, someday they will be adults.

If the day my kids reach adulthood is the first time they are asked to face a difficult decision, or a difficult person alone, I have failed as a parent.

Parenting is a complex balance of helping to remove obstacles in our kids path, as well as helping them to work through tough situations on their own.

I feel I have learned more about God by being a parent than in any other area of my life.

The first part of 1 John 3:1 says, "See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!"

God is our Father, and He loves us so deeply.

I am His son, and He loves me more than I can imagine. So at times, He will remove an obstacle, or open a door that will benefit me. Yet still, there are times when He will choose to help me work through a difficult situation with His help instead.

I love my kids, and anyone who has spent ten seconds around me and my kids knows that to be true. Sometimes loving my kids means standing back a little and letting them work through a situation, so they can grow through it.

In an infinitely greater way, God loves me and you. Anyone who spends even a brief moment in His presence knows that to be true. Sometimes loving us looks like standing back a little and letting us work through our situation so we can grow through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment