Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Choosing Not To Be Lonely


One of the first observations God made of man was that it was not good for him to be alone. Yet all these years later, many of us spend our time battling loneliness. Maybe we have a hard time making new friends, or even keeping the old ones. Perhaps it's because trust does not come easily; and doubt and suspicion are never in short supply. 

Truth is, most of what causes us to pause before building a new friendship, or walk away from an old one, is not fully based on substance. Rather it is based on the appearance of substance.

In Psalm 23:4 it says "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

I want you to look carefully at that verse again. It doesn't say "Even though I walk through the valley of death..." It says, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…"

Often times we are deterred from good things God wants to give us, because we have been scared off by a shadow. 

When I read this verse, I think about the old cartoons where the main character was in a cave, and a scary shadow was looming around the corner. So they cower in fear as this figure approaches. Then lo and behold, a small cricket that was producing a massive shadow walks around the corner.

It wasn't a monster, it was the shadow of a monster. 



Certainly people can let us down, and there are times when it best to choose better company than we currently keep; but, often times small misunderstandings or mistakes can be worked through with a little bit of effort.

So my encouragement to you is this, don't stay lonely just because you see the shadow of something that could be scary. Build friendships, introduce yourself to someone new. Go to lunch with someone, join a Small Group. Get out there and choose not to be lonely anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment