Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Honor Where Honor is Due

This Memorial Day Weekend was an important weekend, and an emotional one too. 
Memories of my close friends from my days in the Army who died flood my mind and my heart. Most memories are of moments filled with laughter during a quick weekend get away, or a BBQ at Treasa and my apartment. Thoughts of my friends flood my mind. I think about the dreams they shared, their families, and all that made them uniquely them. 
It is a strange thing to accept that they are no longer around.  
Yet, it is the depth of our relationship with these people, and the many men and women who gave their lives in service to our great country that makes Memorial Day so important. They were so much more than a number. They were so much more than a random military member. They were Dads, Moms, Sons, Daughters, Brothers, Sisters... they were our friends. 
When we use the word honor, it really has two meanings. One is the honor we show, we give esteem and respect that is deserved; but there is also the honor that we keep to a deal or an agreement. We honor the promise that we made. 
Both versions of honor are appropriate on Memorial Day. We need to give the honor and respect, that these men and women so plainly deserve. We need also need to honor our part of the deal following their sacrifice. We will not forget, we will not let their memory fade away. We will not allow their sacrifice to lose its wonder. 
So we honor you heroes, we honor you military service members, we honor you friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment