Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Do For Others, What You Wish They Did For You

Have you ever been walking through life, minding your own business, and this epiphany comes flying out of nowhere, and knocks you over. 
I had one of these moments today. I was talking with a friend, and as we were joking, he said, "Do for others what you want done for you, not just what was done to you." 
It was a simple statement but it really hit me hard in that moment. I need to treat people and help people, in a way that I want to be treated and helped. 
I think sometimes when we look at someone struggling, we feel a sense of satisfaction if we suffered in a similar way. We can think to ourselves, "I had to suffer through that, so they should too!" As I write that out, I admit I feel a bit of shame for even confessing I have thought that way! 
Jesus said in John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another."
When we love people, how Jesus instructs us to love people, we should be compelled to help them avoid the same suffering we have endured; not celebrate that they have to suffer too.
So consider this thought, when you see someone going through a struggle you have endured before, stop and help them out! You know how much you didn't like it. Chances are, they don't like it exactly as much as you did.
If we can help someone out, we should right? So get to work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment