Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Learning to Be Compassionate

Compassion is something that comes easier to some than it does to others. 
I am not sure exactly where I fall in that scale; but I'm guessing right around "It could be worse, but I can definitely do better."
I am guessing you are probably somewhere in that same scale.  
Truth is, the bar Jesus set for compassion is pretty remarkable. There were so many times when Jesus encountered a person, a group of people, or a situation, and He had compassion on them. 
He didn't show compassion to only one type of person. Jesus showed compassion for the rich and poor, family and strangers, good and bad. He showed compassion to all sorts of people, in all sorts of situations. 
I was on my way to drop my kids off at school a couple days ago, and my oldest forgot to bring the lunch his Mom packed him. It wasn't the first time. It wasn't even the first time that week. I was feeling way more frustration than compassion. I told him, he had to learn this lesson, so I guess he would go hungry that day. 
I dropped him off at his entrance, and continued on to take his younger sister to drop her off at her class. As we were walking to her classroom she started crying. It came completely out of the blue, she was in great spirits that morning. So I asked her, "What's wrong?" With tears in her eyes, she said, "Just bring Isaiah my lunch, I don't want him to be hungry." 
She couldn't handle the idea that her brother would go hungry. So she would rather give up her lunch so he didn't have to endure that. 
I promised Priscilla I would go get Isaiah a lunch and bring it to him, and dropped her off in class.
You can imagine my response following this moment. I was frustrated at the inconvenience that came my way. I put my feelings far before my son and his need. My ten-year-old daughter was moved to tears by her compassion for her brothers struggle.
The take away from this? I imagine Jesus is a lot more like Priscilla was in this moment, and a lot less like I was.
I hope you can learn from this lesson like I did. 
I pray you would be motivated to show compassion to others this week.   

No comments:

Post a Comment