Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Trip to Haiti

I have been to some pretty impoverished places in my life. Homes with dirt floors made of sheet metal and wood pallets, with a thin blanket for a door. People who are so frequently hungry, that the expression of joy on their face upon receiving a full plate of rice, you'd thought they had won the lottery.

No matter how may times I see these places, the shock and sorrow I feel never wanes. Why do they have to struggle so much? Why would someone just leave this beautiful child out on the street to die?

This trip to Haiti was a unique trip for me. I did not go to build or paint or fix anything. I didn't help with a VBS, I didn't really do anything. I have however, been commissioned to share what I witnessed, and I do so with a happy heart.

I went to see what an organization does to help some of the most needy people in the world.

I went to see Convoy of Hope in action.

Convoy of Hope coordinates with many different programs to get resources, food, and help to the people who need it most.

I met hundreds of kids in orphanages who, without Convoy of Hope, would simply not eat.

More than just providing food to the hungry, Convoy of Hope brings a message of God's love for everyone. They give through local churches and ministers, so the people receive food, and love from their local community.

It is simply amazing.

I had the privilege to sing with, play with, dance with and hug on some beautiful kids. Their smiles are forever burned onto my heart, and into my mind, and I am so glad for that.

More than that, I am privileged to do something about all this. Our church is going to be participating in two of Convoy's programs. One Day to Feed the World and Feed One.

These are simple ways for us to give out of our great abundance to people who have never known abundance.

It is our honor, it is our joy, and it is our duty.

I encourage you to read more about what Convoy of Hope does, and how you can partner as well. Perhaps through your church, through your family, or however else you decide. It is a worthy cause, and the need is so great.

Please ask me if you have any questions about where to start, or how to get involved. I would consider it a high honor to share the mission and heart of Convoy of Hope.

If you are anything like me, life has a way of distracting us, and getting our focus off of the things that matter most, and onto temporary and insignificant worries and desires.

It is my prayer, and my goal to stay focused, to stay on mission, and to keep my mind on what matters most.

People.

Not just the people in my immediate circle, but all people.

I ask that you do the same.

Let's ask God to help us keep a perspective of what matters most, and how we might be used. Maybe we should provide a kind word or a smile; or maybe a helping hand or word of encouragement, or maybe a plate of rice.

Whatever the need is, whatever the act may look like, let's be willing.


Here are some links to check out

Convoy of Hope

One Day to Feed the World

Feed One

No comments:

Post a Comment