Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

He Didn't Learn That On His Own

One of the best parts of being a Dad, is watching your kids mature and develop into individually talented, unique, and beautiful people.

I have been surprised at how much my kids take in from what they see me doing or not doing. Words cannot express how small I felt years ago, the day my oldest son sat down on the couch with his feet up and his hands behind his head. He began barking at his sister ordering her to get him something to eat and drink because, "he had a long day" and it was her job to wait on him.

He didn't learn that on his own... his lazy Dad had modeled it for him.

I have come to appreciate the undeveloped character traits in my children, as they serve as a reminder of where I need to grow. It is a great tool I can use to grow as an individual, but it is also great motivation to change, since it is not only me who is affected by my shortcomings.

The reality for most of us is, sometimes we get tired of changing. To be in a constant state of growing, learning, and changing can be exhausting. It becomes easy to just let things slide, to let it go this time, or to put it off until an imaginary future date we set.

Even though it is difficult, we are supposed to be growing and changing. All the time.

Galatians 6:9 says, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

Growing and changing is exhausting, but the benefit in return far outweighs the work it takes.

So whatever it is that you have been putting off, excusing, or meaning to get to sometime down the road; let me encourage you, pick it up, and start working on it now.

Don't wait to see the negative affects it has on the people around you. Take some ownership, and set out to make your influence a positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment