Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Please comment on any of the posts, I would love to hear your thoughts and I will be sure to reply. Also, please sign up to receive an email notification when a new blog is posted.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Avoiding Distractions

One of my greatest joys in life is being able to help people walk through life. Yet I have found that is easy for me, after helping people navigate through their struggles, to forget that I too need to process and grow through my areas of weakness.

I guess it is a subconscious thing. I get to help people problem solve, talk to them about where they are in their process, and see their growth and health. Soon I find there are many reasons to celebrate with them. Yet at the end of the week, as I am reminiscing of all these life changes and victories I have witnessed, it is easy to miss, that none of those victories were my own.

Helping people is a joy and a wonderful experience. That is not the subject I am focusing on.

I want to talk about the danger of distraction.

Whether it is helping people, a project at work, a renovation at home, or a relationship we are building; any number of things can distract us from personal growth.

When deciding on the title of my Blog Series, I decided on, "choosing to grow." I use that word "choosing," because I believe it isn't about our ability to grow, or about having a knack for growth. I believe the real issue is, whether or not we choose to grow.

Maya Angelou said it this way, "nothing will work unless you do."

We shouldn't expect to see growth, without a consistent effort to grow. In light of this, how can we give effort if we are constantly distracted?

The heart of the issue is, God has a plan for our life. We also have an enemy who will do anything to keep us away from that plan.

In Colossians 4:12 Paul says, "That you may become mature Christians and that you may fulfill God's will for you."

Growth is about more than just personal gain. Growth is about preparation. Allowing God to prepare us for what He has in store for us. God has a plan, God has a will for our life.

So it doesn't really matter what distraction looks like. Whether we are distracted by being busy, helping, serving, going, waiting, worrying, or wondering; we need to avoid anything that keeps us off track from God's will for our life.

So what are you distracted by today? Are you stuck because you are worrying about something, or someone? Are you unable to give effort where it is needed, because you are too busy doing the wrong things?

Let me encourage you, God has a plan to help you grow and mature. It is a really good plan. Don't worry, it's going to involve doing many of the things you love to do; remember, God made you that way.

Choose to say goodbye to your days of being distracted. Choose instead to grow, and to listen to God and His plan for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment